Friday, July 17, 2009

What was I thinking?

There isn't anything special about a restored Jeep these days. But what makes this story unique is that I live in the remote mountains of Northern Thailand, I have almost zero mechanical skills, there are no auto suppliers near me, no mechanics, I dont speak Thai very well and I've never owned a Jeep.

So, what was I thinking?

For 2 years I drove past this little sad Jeep. I had no idea what it was, but there was something special about this little car. One day it had a sign on the windscreen and it was parked out front. I doubled back and stopped to take a look.

It looked like a complete mess inside and out. But surprisingly, it looked reasonably sound with little rust.

I took it for a drive and it was just plain dangerous. Brakes didnt really work, steering was sloppy, gearbox was like stirring porridge and no electrics worked.

I bought it for $800 and let him keep the old Toyota engine and gearbox.

So, I had myself a Jeep. Now what?

1 comment: